12/13/2020

 


I do wish I knew how to make this more attractive, not intellectually, but aesthetically. However, I don't, so that is that.

I am reading a book on the history of recent epidemics. It is fascinating. We are one interacting world with bacteria and viruses - at times our friends, at times our enemies. It reminded me of an article I just read on trees. it is quite popular now to talk and write about tree communication. They communicate underground, through chemicals released from their roots. Those chemical warn surrounding species of various things and trees share important chemicals, even with trees of different species. All the communication seems to be aimed at improving the lot of surrounding trees. One has to wonder, however, if any trickery is going on. Nature is red in tooth and claw, competition for scarce resources is rife. Time and research will tell.



No comments: