6/24/2008

Does anyone need a pair of Koi?

When I bought this house, it came with a fish pond and I inherited a pair of koi who/that lived in that pond. The koi were small and quiet, and did not cause a lot of trouble, nor did they require much TLC. In winter they seemed to eat rarely and in summer they hid from the sun at the bottom of the pond. I put an umbrella over part of the pond, so they could have their choice -- lots of sun or little sun.

So, we grew up together, in harmony. They had few demands. I made few demands on them. Once in a while a bird would fall into the pond and drown. It was never clear why I never discovered them while they were still alive, struggling to keep their beaks above water. They were always quite clearly dead by the time I discovered them -- their bodies tend to slip under the lip of the pond and it is hard to find them. I since have added two fresh water containers alongside the pond, so, hopefully, the birds will stop falling in. This summer I have only found two birds so far. I am sorry to say that I do not know the species. By the time I find them, they are not so easy to identify, at least for me who barely can distinguish an Inca Dove from a pigeon. Yes, one is bigger.

Anyway, the koi have done well and now they are so big that one flip of the fins and they go from one end of the pond to the other. I am looking for a new home for them, as an alternative to digging up the entire back yard to put in a large koi pond.

The other day we visited the Japanese friendship gardens, as Sam, my 8 year old grandson, was playing the taiko. They had a koi pond that made me wish I had the nerve to climb over the fence at night to secret my koi in their midst. It was a bit startling that the koi were fighting and trashing about in the water, chasing other koi out of their territory. It is not clear that putting my gentle, pacific koi in such an environment would be a positive, but the size of the pond was impressive.

Anyway, if anyone reads this and wants a pair of koi, let me know.

1 comment:

Blair said...

No trouble? One of them bit my butt when I was cleaning the pump for them!