11/19/2007

7 random facts

Hum, my own daughter has requested this of me, so as a dutiful mother, I must reply.
To begin, however, I am pretty much not very weird (isn’t the rule I before e except after c or when sounding like a, such as in neighbor or weigh?).

(1) I went alone into the Ecuadorian rainforest, hitching a ride in a dugout canoe, sailing (do dugout canoes sail?) off into the mists and the meandering river.

(2) I studied horseback riding with the cavalry in Bogota, Colombia, where I quickly realized that I could always have a second career as a trick rider -- as we had to do flips and hops and jumps and all sorts of things. My own horse was an ex race horse and on one of my last rides, she, stubborn mule that she was (actually she was an Anglo Arab) stopped dead right before the jump, so I went sailing over the jump while she stood there with a smile on her face.

(3) I studied sculpture and learned to use the acetylene torch, so I also could be a welder. I also cut off the end of my finger with a chisel. As I dripped blood while walking across campus, I remember thinking that this was the only mark I left on that particular campus. When I got to student health they shoved a form at me and told me to fill it out. I stopped applying pressure to my finger. They ended up filling a new form out for me. It rained the next day and erased my marks. This is quite a story for Arizona.

(4) I love studying prime numbers and when I am bored in meetings I try to identify the prime numbers up to 100,000.

(5) I find pure joy in my children and grandchildren and need nothing more, well maybe food and shelter, to be happy.

(6) I want to write a children’s book about an old rusty car that is abandoned in a vacant lot. A girl, who is much like me, sits in the car and drives into wonderful imaginary journeys. One day a very old man comes around and sits with her. He used to own the car and he tells her stories about where the car traveled.

(7) I want to write another book about the way women civilized the west. I also want to write a lay version of my book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHA! Numbers 6 and 7 are from your LIFE LIST. How are you doing on that? I know the answer...not too well. Can't blame you, but maybe it is time to think of a way OUT, so you can tackle the list. Christy

Anonymous said...

ps I am going to send a photo, which I may have sent before, of an old TRUCK in a field...taken in NM and I just love it. Or maybe I'll send you a bunch of photos of the same truck. Christy