12/03/2005

Canciones de navidad y de las antepasadas

I am sitting, typing and looking out at the overcast Arizona December sky, listening to music about a mother, birth, and a babe. This is a story about people who are said to have lived two thousand years ago. Imagine, a story that is so old and told in so many forms, music, sacred text, stories, about something so humble and dismissed by most of history, as the birth of a child? This particular CD has men's and women's voices and combined they are lovely, leading me to believe that Voltaire was on to something when he talked about the best of all possible worlds. Do we have sexual reproduction so male and female voices could combine in such an inspiring and lovely fashion?

I remember many different Christmases. I remember when I got a Chinese garden as a child. It was tiny and my only gift, as we did not have much money that year. But I loved that little garden. It was soil and seeds on a plate. There was a tiny mirror to create a tiny lake, and a little temple, and a gate into the garden. I spread out the soil and carefully planted and watered the seeds and it grew into a magic garden, so I enjoyed that Christmas for almost an entire year. It did end, however, and I realized that lovely things end and you enjoy the fleeting time you have with them, that they gift you with their presence.

The next Christmas I remember was the first year I was married. We were living in student housing in a graduate school. Again, we had little money. I remember getting a sweater and skirt from my new husband, which I loved and wore everyday until someone asked if I had any other clothes (I do this all the time, forgetting about other things I can wear when something I have is comfortable). We decorated the tree with bows we had saved from our wedding gifts. It was a lovely tree. I got a pair of snow boots from my new mother in law and I carried those boots around for years, until I finally encountered some snow and could use them.

The next Christmas was the year my daughter was born in Bogota, a city to which we had recently moved, and was a tiny baby. It was that year that the Christmas story began to become more personal. I could appreciate in a new way, traveling when you were 9 months pregnant, giving birth in a stable, having an infant to care for, one whose very existence depended on your continued existence. Risk taking was no longer quite so interesting.

There were many Christmas inbetween then and now. My son was born in Spain and we celebrated the dia de los 3 reyes magos. My daughter sat on the King's lap at Corte Ingles. We made 14 elaborate ginger bread houses for orphan children. So many Christmasses have passed by. The next Christmas that has stuck in my mind was the year my father died. We were living in Quito and I went to a reception at the US Embassy. That was an unusual thing for me to do as I was an immigrant in Ecuador and no longer really thought of myself as a North American. For some reason they decided we would all stand up together and sing Christmas carols. I remember standing in the back row next to the tall and elaborate tree (certainly not an Ecuadorian Christmas tree with their sad branches falling limply at the ends). I was struck by how beautiful the songs were, how my father had loved them, and how he would no longer hear them. Tears poured from my eyes and I pretended to sing, opening my mouth. I am sure people noticed and kindly ignored me.

Now, I will have a Christmas with three grandsons. This will be a joy to observe.

2 comments:

Blair said...

I remember several christmases.
1. Spain where santa came to visit me at school - turns out that was my dad.
2. putting out wooden shoes - generic, first was Spain
3. Finding out there was no Santa when I cought adults playing with our toys under the trees.
4. Getting presents from Ms. Santa
5. a purse in 8th grade filled with makeup
6. last year, when my son was in the hospital and I made everyone come to my house because it hurt so much to be without him on that day. I just can't count it as his first Christmas, except for the fact that someone came to visit him that day which touched me so much.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember how to get on my own blog. All I could do was read mine and get your address and read yours about all the misty eyed Christmas' you have spent. Apparently you are forgetting the other half of the family that continually caused us such agony at the holidays. All I remember is stress and Zun, God bless her, being stressed because she didn't think things would go well or something. The best Christmas I had as an adult was when she finally let go and let us do it. I am sure it was pain and relief to her. I loved Christmas as a kid but I don't remember you garden on the plate. I might have been a little upset it I had gotten that one. But then you were always much more reflective than I was. I wanted a violin like Genny Mc. but never got one which is probably a good thing for all our mental health.